Sunday, March 10, 2013

A few meters away from our fence is  a neighbor's talisay tree. Just like a few other trees, acacia and mahogany among them, a talisay tree sheds off its aged leaves periodically. From a thick canopy of green months ago, colors dramatically change as the dry season ushers in.

Yesterday morning, pausing from my walk around the house and looking up, a spectacle of reddish brown leaves, some in intensifying shades of orange, met my eyes. I stood  there for minutes,  magnetized by what I thought was a beautiful sight to capture in my mind. Not long after, with just a soft whisper of the wind, leaves started to fall. The next minute was a magical moment. The wind blew harder and leaves came cascading down - dancing, hugging and kissing other leaves, seemingly enjoying their freedom, before finally touching ground. What a sight to behold!

Looking at a balding talisay tree triggers poignant memories of my teaching stint in The Big Apple. How I used to be mesmerized by the magical panorama of trees bragging of multicolored leaves during autumn - a scenery that never fails to create stirrings in my soul.




thick and green before
now shades of brown and orange
is it autumn here?


oo0oo



"time has claimed our youth"
the leaves comfort each other
new life will begin

oo0oo

2 comments:

  1. took you just a few
    weeks and there you are my friend...
    wallowing in prose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. contagious you are
      my ever poetic friend
      my heart says: thank you!

      Delete