Sunday, April 28, 2013

Since my retirement almost two years ago, I have chosen to become a homebody. My small world is confined to the perimeter of our home. Most of the days of the week find me just within this thousand-square-meter area I call my little paradise - a place I share with my youngest son.

We have a spacious front lawn where my twin grandsons used to run around. It is carpeted with Bermuda grass and bordered with palms. Grown in our backyard and at the sides of our house are fruit trees and ornamental plants. Flowers have their own places all around. Birds are regular visitors to our trees. Butterflies freely hover around especially when flowers are in bloom. With all these in my immediate environment, boredom hardly creeps into my being.

On early mornings I do my regular twenty-minute walk around the house. It is during these times when nature sometimes rewards me with scenes that bring a different level of joy to my heart. These scenes, ordinary maybe for some eyes but so captivating for me, don't fail to create stirrings in my soul. Oftentimes, these stirrings find expression in this blog.

It's not everyday though that I am accorded the chance to enjoy these soul-stirring scenes. This morning, however, was a lucky one for me. An entrancing sight welcomed my eyes - another one of those haiku moments I can't allow to pass without giving life to my thoughts. 





shadows and reflections

on my morning walk
 an entrancing sight makes me
breathless for moments

a rose apple tree
standing close to our terrace
its dark twin i see

bathed by the sun's rays
warmly the tree branches threw
 their own images

cream colored curtain
turns movie screen for a while
 shadows the actors

the gentle wind blows
rose apple tree branches sway
on my lips a smile

like waves of the sea
constantly racing to shore
curtain ruffles roll

for a few minutes
 i pause and watch the shadows
dance with no music

shifting to my left
dazzling sight on glass window
the sun's reflection

i squint my two eyes
sun-dappled window too bright
stay on i dare not

shadows...reflections
lifeless yet so intriguing
they enthrall me so

oo0oo

1 comment:

  1. wow, so poetic! wish i can see similar sights with the same eyes as yours.

    ReplyDelete