Sunday, May 19, 2013

It is a known fact that we lose so much muscle as we age. In fact, by the time we reach 70 we may only have half of our mass muscle left. The younger ones may not feel threatened yet by this staggering reality. However, for one who is already advancing in age, this is undoubtedly a serious concern.

I have seen in my own parents how weakness and frailty comes with aging. A comforting thought though is the assurance that  this can be counteracted, as studies have shown. Do I have to wait till I'm well above 70 before starting on a fitness program? I feel the time to act - for building up bone density and muscle - is now! Who for that matter wouldn't want to age gracefully? 

Considering its benefits, I have decided to embark on a simple but regular exercise. Aside from my morning and evening walks, I have befriended my pair of blue little dumbbells. No need to go to a gym for the real strength training. Right at home I spend 15 minutes daily sweating it out with a 3-pound weight on each hand. 

Senior women and candidates out there, pick up your own pair and let's drive osteoporosis away! 






before dinnertime
halfway through her exercise
a voice at the gate



oo0oo


up down up down up
barely sweating...sudden pause
special friend arrives



2 comments:

  1. good morning!

    reading this makes me guilty! LOL!

    i envy you.. wish i have even half of your determination..

    well, have a great weight lifting day! :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why not start now? that is...if you are convinced of the benefits you'll be reaping. give it time and pretty soon it'll become part of your day to day activities.

      thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete